Thursday, June 7, 2007

Leadership Development

I just returned from visiting our weekly student Bible studies. This summer one of our college interns is providing leadership for them. Our interns are recent college graduates, ranging in age from twenty-two to twenty-five. This particular young man has been on staff for the past two years.

Each week, after the students meet in their small groups, they all gather together in a large group to get any remaining questions answered. The intern mentioned above is the emcee each week for this large-group meeting. He answers theological and biblical questions, teaches from the text, and suggests appropriate applications for each week's study.

I could not have been more impressed with his leadership tonight.

He was clear and articulate. He was confident and well-spoken, but also humble. He was accurate to the text. And he was worshipful and God-honoring.

One of the temptations of college ministry is to do all of the "real ministry" by myself and leave the gruntwork for the interns and other staff. After all, I have the seminary degree. I have the experience. I have the pastoral position.

The advantage of that approach is that I would never have to leave crucial tasks in the hands of those who might mess them up badly. It is possible, even likely, that they will stumble over words, say something inaccurate, lose control of the group, or simply bore everybody. Of course, I could do any of those as well, but at least I could be in control.

The disadvantage of doing everything myself is that I would miss moments like tonight. Moments in which the Spirit of God works in the life of an extraordinary young man to impact the lives of college students. Moments in which a young leader has the opportunity to use his spiritual gifts and develop in confidence. Moments in which I realize that over the course of two years he has developed into an incredibly gifted teacher and leader.

And he's just one of our ten interns...

Now what were the advantages of doing it myself again?

No comments: