Sunday, June 17, 2007

Dad vs. Homer (Simpson)

Apparently today's college students generally feel that their fathers are worse than Homer Simpson, according to a recent study. When I first saw this, I thought it had to be a joke. How could the average American father be worse than the irresponsible, perpetually lazy, drunk, outright stupid patriarch of the Simpsons?

When I finished the article and processed it, I understood the issue at hand. At least Homer is there. He might be mean and stupid and drunk and immature, but he is actually around and takes an interest in the lives of his children.

Pretty sad, huh?

A few weeks ago in a sermon I made reference to students who get good advice from their moms. My parents were present, and my dad (who is a great advice-giver) later asked why I did not mention fathers at all as a source of wisdom.

I told him the reason: Many, if not most, of the students in my ministry had absent or distant fathers. It would never occur to them to ask their dad for advice, because he simply was not around. This absence on the part of fathers creates all manner of relational problems in young adults.

As a result, students are looking for a man to model fatherhood for them in some way. Hopefully they can find a real-life, godly man to admire; otherwise, they end up gravitating toward good old Homer.

One of the most humbling and scary parts of college ministry is the degree to which students (especially the engaged ones) seek my advice on how to be a good husband and father. I have even had one or two tell me that they are looking to me as a model. That's not because I'm the perfect father; it's because of the dearth of alternatives in their lives.

If you are a man ministering to college students -- especially if you have children -- rest assured, you are being watched. If that thought doesn't motivate you to prayer, I'm not sure what will.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Remember that article we read about "mooks," written by Colson? I think it also addressed this idea of the absent father and even how fathers are portrayed in the media: a sad cry from such patriarchs as Abraham, Joshua, and Joseph, husband of Mary. Would you agree?

Matt said...

I do agree. Fatherhood has become an overlooked and undervalued role in our society.

G.R.Morton said...

I was humbled, after I asked my question.